Business Name Registration in Kenya Online | Ultimate Guide
Business name registration in Kenya Online has become significantly easier thanks to the digitization of services like eCitizen. Since all records are digitally saved, it takes a few clicks on your laptop or pc to register your business. Given that it’s a fairly simple process, you can have your certificate in a day. You will follow the simple steps below to
Login to www.ecitizen.go.ke if you already have an account. If you don’t have one, you can easily register a new account. You will need your name, ID number, email address and working phone number to accomplish this.
Once you log in, the first page that loads is called the dashboard. This is where you get a lot of integrated services offered by the Government of Kenya and county governments too. Point your cursor on the Business Registration Service link and click.
The next page that loads are the services offered under business registration. You have an option to link a business or make a new application. You will choose and click the latter since it’s a new business being registered. This loads another page showing you the different kinds of services offered. They are given IDs to be easier to differentiate all of them. Click on ID.1 which is name search and reservation.
For conducting each name search, it is going to cost you 100 KES plus 50 KES convenience fees. Payment is done through;
- · mobile money
- · visa/debit/credit card
- · Huduma Card
Have this payment options on hand as you proceed to the next step.
In the next page, You will be prompted to know which type of business you are planning to register, preferred business name, special instructions if any and the description of your business. Once you fill all these boxes, you can press continue on the bottom left corner to confirm these details. It is advisable to have 3 unique business names to ensure availability.
Finally, you will see the services requested and application summary. The application Summary shows.
- Service requested
- Submitted by
- Date of submission.
- Date of approval
- Days in progress
- Application status
You can wait for Name reservation letter and email notification of approval. If you get a rejection it means that your name is already in use or is contrary to public policy and therefore you should reapply using a different name.
Remember, when searching for a business name to register you have to keep in mind the following points.
- The use of Initials are not allowed e.g J.K and Brian Enterprises
- Names with the word “Foundation” must be Limited Ahadi Kenya)
- Names with “Groups”, “projects” and “Holdings” must be limited.(Ahadi group limited)
- Names with “Universities” must be limited. (Ahadi university limited)
- Single words are not accepted (Ahadi)
- Offensive or abusive words are not allowed either. Offensive words in vernacular (mother tongue) are not allowed either.
- Political names e.g (Nairobi youth alliance) are not allowed
- Numerics are not allowed not unless its the current year eg (2015)
- Names starting with the word “Kenya” are only reserved for the government.
- Names of ‘Church’ and ‘Ministry or Ministries’ are not allowed
- Names with “Trust”, “Foundation”, Programmes are not allowed
- The Registrar of Names does not register clubs
- Names with “Relief” are not allowed
- Names with “welfare”, Organization, Association, are not allowed.
Only one name to be submitted per application.
Applications with more than one name search will be rejected.
Modifying an existing business name is not allowed. eg. Adding Africa, Kenya, East Africa or changing the spelling eg Exotic to Ezotic or Esotic. Business names will only be processed from Monday to Friday between 8 am to 5 pm excluding public holidays. Applications without appropriate passport photos will be rejected.