How often should a mattress be replaced?
“Arise and Shine!”
A great morning comes from having a good night’s sleep. Without a good mattress, the two can be the things you yearn for every morning. If the mattress has reached its end time or has started showing signs of wear and tear, then it’s time to consider replacing it. So, how often should a mattress be replaced?
How often should a mattress be replaced
Many organizations recommend replacing your mattress after every seven-10 years. However, depending on different factors, you might have to replace your mattress before 7 years or after 10 years.
- Advertisement -
How do you know your mattress needs to be replaced;
There are different signs that will let you it’s time to replace your mattress;
- If its torn or sagging and you can see it, then it’s screaming for replacement.
- You start feeling uncomfortable sleeping on it, and other places feel more comfortable, for instance, the sofa or a friend’s bed.
- You wake up feeling stiff and sore. Old mattresses gradually lose their ability to provide proper support thus end up giving you unpleasurable nights with turning and tossing and later resulting in neck and back pains.
- Your spine is not aligned when you sleep. It means that there is a sag on the mattress even if it ain’t noticeable.
- If your mattress is over seven-10 years. Consumer reports recommend replacement every 7-10 years.
How to maintain your mattress;
The level of care you give to your mattress will also dictate how long your mattress lasts. Here are some tips on how to maintain your mattress;
- Keep your mattress dry. Dampness will cause the growth of mold and mildew which will end up destroying your mattress.
- Keep your mattress covered. This will protect it from dust, mites and accidental spills.
- Change your mattress cover regularly.
- Unless instructed otherwise, rotating your mattress and flipping it over once in a while will save it from sagging.
- Keep it ventilated, periodically and say goodbye to bad odors.
- Take care of your mattress when moving.
- Lastly, follow the manufacturer’s guidelines.
How often should you rotate your mattress
Mattress rotating is also a way of maintaining your mattress for durability. Rotating is as simple as turning your mattress 180 degrees. Mattress rotating evens out overall wear and extending the mattress’s life. However, some mattresses like memory foam mattresses are not made to be flipped.
Innerspring and hybrid mattresses should be rotated 4 times per year or once a quarter. However, you should check the manufacturer’s recommendation for your mattress model to see if rotating the mattress will suffice or if you can flip it as well.
Memory foam mattresses should be rotated at least twice a year.
How well you sleep at night plays a big role in your daily activities. When you have a good night’s sleep, you wake up refueled and ready to start the day at your best. Don’t let a worn mattress be a hindrance to that. Know how often a mattress should be replaced and how to maintain your mattress.