Are you a victim of ringworm infection? Then I bet you’ve been stressing out about how to get rid of ringworm permanently.
Living a ringworm-free life may seem like a herky-jerky course, but it’s very possible. Here are ways to rid yourself of ringworm permanently, and also how to prevent the menace.
What Does Ringworm Look like?
It causes a scaly, crusted rash that may look like round, red patches on the skin. Other signs and symptoms of ringworm include patches of hair loss or scaling on the scalp, itching, and blister-like lesions.
A ringworm isn’t a worm. It is a fungal skin infection caused by mold-like parasites known as dermatophytes that live on the outer layer of your skin.
Ringworm is also caused by;
- Skin to skin contact with an infected person.
- Pets such as cats or dogs may also infect you with ringworm.
- Brushing against objects with fungus.
- You can also get it from the soil that has fungus-causing ringworm.
[better-ads type=”banner” banner=”306″ campaign=”none” count=”2″ columns=”1″ orderby=”rand” order=”ASC” align=”center” show-caption=”1″ lazy-load=””][/better-ads]
Home Remedies That May Help Get Rid of Ringworm Permanently
Ringworm is the most common type of fungal infection caused by the fungus tinea which is highly contagious. Moreso, it can be caused by skin-to-skin contact with an infected person, a pet (dog, cat) or by brushing against infested objects.
It is characterized by a red circular rash that may itch.
While a lot of medications are available to cure this infection, home remedies have also proved to be effective.
Here Are Some of the Home Remedies That Could Help You Get Rid of Ringworm Permanently
- Garlic. Make a paste of crushed garlic clove with some olive or coconut oil. Apply a layer to the affected area. Leave in place for about two hours before rinsing. Repeat twice daily until the symptoms resolve.
- Soap. Clean the infected area with soap and water, this helps prevent the infection from spreading to other areas. However, fungus flourishes in moist areas, so it’s advisable to dry the area thoroughly after cleaning.
- Aloe Vera. Apply aloe vera gel on the affected area. It has cooling properties that help soothe the infected area reducing the itchiness. In addition, aloe vera also has antifungal, antibacterial, and antiviral properties.
- Turmeric. It is a popular spice with anti-inflammatory properties. Mix it with water or coconut oil to form a paste and apply it to the skin. Let it dry before wiping it off.
- Tea tree oil. dilute 12 drops of tea tree oil with 1 ounce of cold-pressed carrier oil such as coconut oil. Apply the mixture three times daily.
- Lemongrass oil. It has been shown to reduce the activity of several types of fungus. Mix a few drops of carrier oil and lemongrass. Apply it directly to the skin two times per day.
- Coconut Oil. To use it, warm the coconut oil until it becomes liquid then apply it directly to the affected area. It will absorb into the skin quickly. Coconut oil has both microbial and antifungal properties that help treat ringworm infection.
- Apple cider vinegar. Soak a cotton ball into undiluted apple cider vinegar and rub it over the affected skin three times daily. Apple cider vinegar has strong antifungal properties.
All these are home remedies that could do away with ringworm for good.
[better-ads type=”banner” banner=”285″ campaign=”none” count=”2″ columns=”1″ orderby=”rand” order=”ASC” align=”center” show-caption=”1″][/better-ads]
Want to Cure Ringworm Fast and Permanently?
To know what type of treatment for ringworm you should undergo, will depend on the severity of the infection and its location on your body.
Apart from the above-mentioned home remedies, there are also other treatments for ringworm infection which may help you cure ringworm permanently. In many cases where the infection is on your skin, your doctor will most likely suggest an OTC fungal cream, lotion, or powder, such as; Clotrimazole, miconazole, terbinafine, and ketoconazole.
In most cases when the ringworm is on your scalp, the doctor will give you a prescription for oral antifungal medication. He may also recommend an antifungal shampoo. The medications taken by mouth, are taken for 1-3 months. They include; fluconazole, griseofulvin, terbinafine, and itraconazole.
How Apple Cider Vinegar Helps Exterminate Ringworm
Apple cider vinegar is a fermented product made from crushed and aged apples. It is one of the most commonly used home remedies for ringworm infection as it has very strong antifungal properties that help treat the infection. For skin infection, rubbing a ball of cotton wool soaked in undiluted apple cider vinegar on the affected skin may help treat the infection.
If you have feet or toe fungus, soak your feet in one cup of apple cider vinegar mixed with water.
Does Lysol Kill Ringworm?
Lysol refers to a brand of disinfectant that kills, viruses, bacteria, and viruses. People use Lysol to disinfect hospitals, homes as well as other locations. Lysol is toxic to humans if used incorrectly.
Lysol disinfecting sprays kill 99.9 percent of the fungus Trichophyton mentagrophytes when used as directed which is one type of fungus that causes ringworm. Unfortunately, there are many other types of fungus that can also cause ringworm on various parts of the body.
[better-ads type=”banner” banner=”304″ campaign=”none” count=”2″ columns=”1″ orderby=”rand” order=”ASC” align=”center” show-caption=”1″ lazy-load=””][/better-ads]
Exterminating Ringworm Marks for Good
After you have come down with ringworm infection, it’s possible that it leaves scars on your skin due to the itching and scratching on the affected area often and harshly.
These scars are probably not pleasant and may be distressing to live with. Luckily, there are ways to get rid of them.
- Undergoing a laser treatment. This destroys parts of skin tissue and enables the growth of new skin.
- Dermabrasion. Consider this in severe cases. Done by a plastic surgeon and instruments are used to sand down and remove disfigured skin. Last resort if the scars are too deep.
- Microdermabrasion. A dermatologist gently removes the surface layer of skin when done in a clinical setting. This will smoothen the skin and even out its tone.
- Scale off the affected skin, two or three times a week. You may use natural home ingredients, for instance, lemon juice or baking soda. Moreover, you can get an over-the-counter exfoliant with hydroxy acids which may also help.
When Ringworm Is No Longer Contagious
Ringworm is very contagious and can be transferred by skin-to-skin contact with an infected person, touching the person’s clothes or any object that he/she has been into contact with.
However, it is only contagious as long as lesions are present. It stops being contagious about 24 to 48 hours immediately after treatment begins.
How to Stop Ringworm from Spreading
- Start treatment as soon as possible
- Wash towels and bed sheets regularly
- Keep your skin clean, and wash your hands always after touching animals or soil
- Always check your skin keenly if you have been in contact with an infected person or animal
- Take your pet to the vet if you suspect they have ringworm
- Avoid sharing towels, bedsheets, and combs with someone who has ringworm
- Avoid scratching a ringworm rash, this could spread it to other parts of your body
My final advice on getting rid of ringworms permanently is, upholding hygiene as this will prevent you from getting harmful fungus and\or spreading them to people around you.