Mandazi Recipe Kenya
If you’re looking for a mandazi recipe Kenya, then I’m here to give you a full recipe on how to make mandazi at home or even for business.
Mandazi is a form of fried bread that originated on the Swahili Coast which is mostly taken for breakfast or alone as a snack. In the Swahili Coast, they are mostly known as mahamri where they use coconut oil in making them.
Mandazis are almost similar to doughnuts only that they have a sweeter taste than doughnuts. They are mostly made in different shapes; triangles, circles or even ovals.
Mandazis are made simply by frying dough in cooking oil until it turns golden brown. Now let’s go step by step on a mandazi recipe Kenya.
How to make mandazi at home | Mandazi Kenya recipe
What you need:
- 3 cups of white flour
- 2 cups of water
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- One teaspoon yeast | Two teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup of milk (optional)
- 1 egg (optional)
- 2 tablespoon of melted butter
- Pinch of salt
- Cooking oil
- Pinch of spice (optional)
- All your ingredients should be room temperature.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder (if not using yeast), sugar, and spice then add yeast.
- Mix the water, butter, milk, and the egg together then gradually add the mixture to the flour while kneading into the dough until it becomes sleek and stretchy.
- If using yeast, place dough in a clean bowl, cover with a cloth, and allow to rise in a warm place for about an hour.
- If using baking powder, let the dough rest for several minutes.
- After the dough is ready divide it into several pieces.
- Make balls from small pieces of dough you’ve made. (you can cut the dough into the shape you want, say triangle, oval or circle)
- Heat a few cups of vegetable oil to 350 degrees in a pot or a deep skillet.
- Fry the dough in the hot oil, turning a few times until they are golden brown all over. Fry only as many together as can float in the oil without touching one another.
- Place on paper towels to drain. Serve warm.
Yeah, that’s how easy you can make mandazis, a mandazi recipe Kenya. Don’t keep yourself from trying out this recipe and making delicious mandazis.